Warped Action Parts

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Tue, 26 Jun 2001 18:21:47 -0400

Still looking for any good info on this, but I think I have solved my
problem this time. I was measuring the back action frame feet for being in
line/level, and then checking the front feet. I was not checking for twist.
Such a thing is hard to evaluate. If you simply lay the stack on a flat
bench, the weight of the action itself will tend to flatten it. Fortunately
I have a big, flat sanding block. Real big. Like six feet long by six inches
wide, and super flat. I put huge 96-inch sanding belts on it to sand big
things flat. I took the belt off and stood it and the stack on end. Then the
warpage and twist was evident. Warping to lift the center up and screw up my
key leveling, and twisted, so that one back foot on the bass end was way up
in the air (0.075").

Now I guess what I will do is put the action frame up to my sanding block
and measure for twist, and then put it in the keybed and measure deviation
of stack contact points for level from bass to treble. Add these deviations
to the measured values for the stack feet, and then make shims.

This is B.S. But it is a good exercise in the learning process. I'm really
learning why many experienced techs will fully rebuild a piano, but don't
want to do patch-up work on an old worn-out piano. The more I do this kind
of work, the more I am understanding their point of view. Maybe someday when
I can afford to turn away frustrating work!  :-)

Oh, well. Back to Mr. Termite Chow.

Terry Farrell