Warped Action Parts

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Tue, 26 Jun 2001 17:21:10 -0400

Does anyone have any good tried-and-true methods (or any good guesses) for
aligning/leveling a keybed, keyframe and stack? I'm trying to do a
regulation on the Knabe I replaced the keybed in. Keybed is dead flat. I
have put excellent straight-edges every which way on it and it is very, very
flat. My trouble arose when I leveled the keys on a very flat bench with the
action clamped down (back action frame rail bows up). Put stack on after
leveling, put in piano, and keys were way low in middle. Turns out not only
is the keyframe warped up, but the hammer and wippen rails are warped
upwards in the middle also. So when you attach the stack to the keyframe, it
pulls up the middle of the keyframe even more.

We are talking about a good (well, depending on how you look at it) 0.060
inch gap between a flattened back action frame rail and the center action
frame foot (front and rear) - lesser on others and zero at ends. Obviously I
can just shim under the feet, but even here I get some conflicting
measurement results. I have even stood everything on end when measuring
warpage to eliminate the straightening effect of gravity, but then when I
lay it out on the flat bench, I get different measurments - not just a bit
less or more, but rather the lowest foot is now the highest foot.

Is there any hope here. I know very well what the heck the piano needs: a
new piano, or at least a new action frame, keys, and top action (would at
least solve this problem). But the plumber/electrician that is in full
charge of the fate of this hospital-owned piano does not feel it real wise
to spend much money on it. I'm just trying to get the %&*# termite-eaten
thing to play!

Thanks for any input. Anyone got a shoulder to cry on?

Terry Farrell