Agraffe tuning easier or not?

phillip l ford fordpiano@lycos.com
Tue, 26 Jun 2001 17:46:23 0000

Del,

I have a few questions about your post.  Please see comments embedded in text.

--

On Sun, 24 Jun 2001 09:04:06
 Delwin D Fandrich wrote:

> [...]
Why do you say that the Sohmer and Heintzman designs are taken to an illogical extreme?  I haven't heard a broad sampling of these pianos but of the ones that I have heard I thought the top ends were pretty nice.  I attributed that partly to the connected capo.

>For the most part, of course, any energy savings due to the added mass of the capo d'astro bar are lost--and then some--by the inclusion of a tuned aliquot string design which introduces a whole new set of intentional energy losses. Or by the inherently inefficient string termination of the Baldwin design.

It seems that there is going to be some inevitable 'leakage' past the capo bar or agraffe.  So the string portion on the side of the capo opposite the speaking length is going to be moving.  You say that energy is being lost by having a tuned aliquot design.  Do you feel that less energy would be lost by having a detuned aliquot design or by having this section damped out (felted out) altogether?

Why is the Baldwin design inherently inefficient?
Phil Ford

Get 250 color business cards for FREE!