Journal Tech Tip was Re: Tuning pin sleeves.

Jon Page jonpage@mediaone.net
Mon, 25 Jun 2001 07:16:07 -0400

At 03:06 PM 06/24/2001 -0400, you wrote:
>In a message dated 6/22/01 11:45:46 PM Central Daylight Time,
>nbarrett@midsouth.rr.com writes:
>

>>Another use for these sleeves is to repair split out spinet music racks.
>>Drill out the rack to accept the tuning pin sleeve, epoxy sleeve and hammer
>>shank in hole and replace music rack.
>>Norm Barrett
>>Memphis Chapter
>
>Please include this repair in the Tech Tips in the Journal. It is one the
>best ones I have seen come along in a long time.
>Thanks Norm for including it on the list.
>Willem

I don't see the benefit to this procedure. It seems to me that if you have
to drill the hole extra large for the sleeve you will decrease
the strength of the panel at that point. Then by installing the sleeve and
expanding it with a shank you are further stressing the area.
You will then have a wood to metal to wood bond whereas a shank, dowel or
plug glued in place is sufficient.

Regards,

Jon Page