new piano

Susan Kline sckline@home.com
Sun, 24 Jun 2001 14:06:02 -0700

At 10:15 PM 06/23/2001 -0500, you wrote:
>I tuned for a new customer today, a Kawai baby grand. ... What's a guy to
>say to these people??????
>les bartlett

That part's simple. Just explain to them that new pianos need more frequent
tuning because all the strings are stretching out and everything is
settling into place. Reassure them that this has to be done to all new
pianos, even the very highest quality. (Optionally, you can mention that
some brands and stores do more of this tuning before selling the piano, and
some less.) But required, not optional, is to tell them that once the piano
has settled down from the initial tunings the stability will improve
tremendously.

What I cannot comprehend is why dealers don't say all this as they sell the
piano. I mean, they KNOW that the pianos will react like this. Why would
they want to have customers keep unreal expectations, and then blame the
store or the factory when their new pianos go out of tune?

Susan