bridle strap - was Re: 1902 Conover upright jack lever

Richard Brekne rbrekne@broadpark.no
Sun, 24 Jun 2001 13:18:14 +0200

kam544@flash.net wrote:

> >Now, as a result of this thread, I'm thinking in the case of upright pianos
> in general, that another serious consideration for the bridle tape concept
> was to insure that the hammer actually returned far enough back past the
> point of perpendicular to its mounting, coupled with overcoming any center
> pin resistance, to enable the hammer return spring to then do its job of
> returning the hammer to its final destination.
>
> Final destination meaning, close enough so the jack lever tip will at least
> be able to engage the hammer to strike again.  Ironically, that would then
> touch on the premise of aiding faster repetition, or more exactly as I see
> it, allowing the note, for all practical purposes, to be repeated at all.
>
> What fun!

That sounds reasonable enough. In anycase I think we have laying around plenty
of evidence that points in directions other then the idea that the strap is
simply meant to hold the whippen up when removing the action. Tho I am very
sure we are all glad it serves that function as well.... we could easily enough
solve that problem in a number of other ways.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.