FW: Yamaha service bond

Joel Jones jajones2@FACSTAFF.WISC.EDU
Sat, 23 Jun 2001 17:34:42 -0500

------ Forwarded Message
From: "Mark Barrett" <mbarrett@ward-brodt.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 14:04:57 -0500
To: "Joel Jones" <jajones2@facstaff.wisc.edu>
Subject: Re: Yamaha service bond

Joel,
Here's something you can forward to the list.

The Yamaha Service Bond Assurance Program is without a doubt "THE BEST"
commitment to service of an instrument from a manufacturer in the piano
industry.  Any dealer that does not perform this service or provides the in
home tuning and pockets the Service Bond reimbursement should have their
dealer franchise agreement revoked.

Any dealer under the sun will prep a piano, deliver and tune once in the
home.  I do know some that have the audacity to charge for an in-home tuning
saying "...it's the only way we can remain price competitive", SHAME ON
THEM.  The Service Bond is to be performed at the three to eight month
(broad range) tuning and includes an overall check of the action and damper
screws, lost motion and pedal adjustment.  It's a fact in this industry that
most customers grossly neglect their instruments and, (I hate to say) that
many technicians don't value their customer base because they too ignore
their clients pianos.  Economists have researched the "set it and forget it"
attitude of consumers and have concluded that customers feel no urgency to
service a product or be concerned about it's performance level as long as it
is under warranty.  I call it the VCR syndrome.  Plug it in, stick in a tape
and wait for it to stop working, then get another.  The Service Bond
provides a vehicle to at least establish a consistent follow up during the
pianos "greenest" time when it is most susceptible to changes due to
temperature and humidity swings.

When I entered the retail piano business in 1980, the reimbursement to the
dealer for performing the service bond was a mere $35.  Most technicians
would perform the work for about $40.  With inflation and cost of living
increases the amount of work exceeds $100.  The reimbursement to the
dealer...$35.  That's OK though, because it's way more than any other
manufacturer provides and is testimony to why Yamaha is the most sought
after franchise in the piano industry.

Today's high tech way of registering Service Bond is done electronically
through Yamahas web site when the dealer delivers a piano.  This eliminates
the need for the first card.  The second half of the card must still be sent
in with the customers signature on it to be eligible for the manufacturer
reimbursement.  Yamaha generates a letter to the customer inquiring as to
why they purchased a Yamaha piano, how did the dealer assist them and what
else they've considered purchasing.  This is perhaps the most valuable tool
for the dealer as it indicates a commitment the dealer has to their customer
base as well as showing customers that people just like them chose, that's
right CHOSE, to purchase a Yamaha piano over some very lofty brands.  EVERY
CUSTOMER should see this binder that houses the Service Bond letters.  We
show them all, good and bad.  We, like many, lose track of details and a
customer will occasionally slip through the cracks however because the cards
are filed away in categories we at least have a chance to make amends when
we purge these at the beginning of the New Year.  Not perfect, but
effective.

Sorry for the lengthy post but I felt it was important to "SET THE RECORD
STRAIGHT."
Keep in tune!

Mark Barrett
Ward-Brodt Music Co.