bridle strap - was Re: 1902 Conover upright jack lever

Richard Brekne rbrekne@broadpark.no
Sat, 23 Jun 2001 17:14:58 +0200

kam544@flash.net wrote:

> >..."Its purpose was to preven teh hammers bouncing back on to the string
> >after striking"... Harding 1933, 1978...
> >Richard Brekne...
>
> Now *that* is certainly a plausible reason, Richard.
>
> Thanks for that tidbit!

Actually, the more you think of this the more the thought becomes
interesting... This strap or tape was origionally designed into a grand
pianoforte action. Looking at the drawing for this it seems clear  it could
have no other purpose then to help prevent blubbering. If nothing else it
clearly shows the designer was thinking along the lines of the whippen
pulling down on the hammer shank instead of the purpose being to fasten the
whippen.

Perhaps the designer then simply decided to employ the same mechanism in an
upright. Both of the drawings I have in front of me show hammer checks, even
so these actions were often refered to as "tape-check" actions.

One other thing that seems interesting tho in this connection... a lot of the
drawings of earlly actions that didnt have this bridle strap are constructed
such that removal of the action from the piano would not present the problem
with whippens todays action would without the bridle strap.

I dunno... seems like the origional intent didnt really have anything to do
with holding the whippen up after all....but had more to do with pulling
downwards on the hammer assembly. To be used effectively as a checking device
I would think the strap would have to be adjusted somewhat tauter then we do
today... or what.. ?

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.