bridle strap - was Re: 1902 Conover upright jack lever

Richard Brekne rbrekne@broadpark.no
Sat, 23 Jun 2001 11:17:34 +0200

Given the basic way the piano action was developed over the years, ie from
simple to complex... often "solving problems" as they showed themselves, it
seems to me unlikely that inventors envisioned bridle straps as some way of
speeding up repetition. But that view is based on the assumption that
technicians of the day pulled actions for service from time to time and somebody
realized how much a pain in the patootie it was and so invented something to
solve that problem...... and that sooner or later somebody found out that it
actually helped speed up repetition..

Since it took time to pass all the way to 1997 before somebody actually "proved"
the speed issue....and since bridle straps were invented for pianos a bit
earlier....well draw your own conclusions...

Another point is the useage of the term "bridle straps" in itself...which was in
use wayyyyy before the concept was errr... modified for piano use. But then that
was before the time of womens liberation as well... grin...

I aggree that the question is a bad one, especially since the "correct" answer
is contested in in several of the books we are recommended to read in study.
There are other such questions as well.... and I do not aggree with the idea
that bad questions are good in this kind of exam because they make you think.

> >I disagree with the primary function being A.  Maybe a secondary function
> >does exist with bridle straps assisting repetition when properly regulated,
> >but I don't believe for a moment that was their intended primary purpose.

Just in for the weekend...travel to the states on monday !

Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.
Bergen, Norway
mailto:rbrekne@broadpark.no