Early Asian pianos

Glenn Grafton glenn@graftonpiano.com
Fri, 22 Jun 2001 19:47:37 -0400

  Ron O. wrote:
>Andrew,
>
>>Here is the problem, the film thickness is certainly more than 0.6mm.
>
>Sorry Andrew, I have come onto this thread late in the event (been
>distracted with work). From what you've written I conclude that the
>piano you have a problem with is a Yamaha.

Actually the first message about this topic was a cracked finish on a
Schaeffer & Sons piano (made in Korea). My reply was that the heading
of the original message Early Asian pianos was a little broad,
lumping in all pianos from Korea, China, Japan, etc. and that we
don't see problems of cracked finishes on Yamaha pianos. The
thickness comment was related to what was responsible for Yamaha's
luck, resin surfacer sheet or uniform (not too thick) thickness.

Whatever they do, it works.

BTW, I never realized it until years later, we had a used Estonia
concert grand in here we sold in the late '70's (before they were
sold here in the states). All the edges had a real round radius to
them. Some have felt this was less for style and more to prevent
cracking of the polyester at the edges. The piano had to come out the
window of his Center City apartment via crane. The former owner  was
a flamboyant artist and stood about 6'4", 350 lbs, wanted to ride
down on the piano, which of course was not allowed.
--
Glenn Grafton
Grafton Piano & Organ Co.

The box said "Requires Windows 95, or better." So I bought a Macintosh.