Early Asian pianos

Overs Pianos sec@overspianos.com.au
Sat, 23 Jun 2001 07:46:39 +1000

Andrew,

>Here is the problem, the film thickness is certainly more than 0.6mm.

Sorry Andrew, I have come onto this thread late in the event (been
distracted with work). From what you've written I conclude that the
piano you have a problem with is a Yamaha. I too have seen Yamaha's
with a film thickness of more than 0.6 mm, but it is the exception
rather than the rule in the case of Yamaha (0.6 mm is Yamaha's
factory spec.)

>Am I to
>understand that this is not a stable situation and even after 30 years
>deterioration will continue?

I'd say it will. If its cracking up I'd get rid of it.

>So maybe a heat gun will be my newest toy.

We struggled for many years with unsatisfactory approaches to
stripping polyester. The heat gun approach was a revelation. Be
careful with it and the scraper and you can do a good quick job
without damaging the veneer.

Regards,

Ron O.

--