Tuning pin sleeves.

Dave Nereson dnereson@dimensional.com
Thu, 21 Jun 2001 01:00:39 -0600

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: John Ross=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Wednesday, June 20, 2001 4:05 PM
  Subject: Tuning pin sleeves.

  Hi List,
  I just read where someone, recommended, tuning pin sleeves,
  for loose tuning pins.
  I personally, have never used them, after my first try with them
  25 years ago. I threw the ones I had away, as I was unsatisfied with=20
  the result, I found that with the metal to metal they would not hold.
  Are they still a recommended fix for loose tuning pins?
  Has anyone actually, used them and been satisfied with the results?
  Did I possibly use them the wrong way, and have been unjust in
  my condemnation of them?
  Regards,
  John M. Ross
  Windsor, Nova Scotia, Canada
  piano.tech@ns.sympatico.ca

  They're not the greatest, but if you don't have any oversize pins in =
your kit or in the car, and if the pin is really loose, they'll "get you =
out of the house".  Sometimes they're too thick and you can't even drive =
the original pin back in.  And if the hole is really worn, sometimes =
they're not thick enough -- depends on the wood, type of block, what the =
present humidity is, etc.  Oh, and usually the lip that's supposed to =
keep it from going too far into the hole doesn't work at all.  They're =
more for "emergencies", in my opinion.  --Dave Nereson, RPT