pianoforte

Dave Nereson dnereson@dimensional.com
Wed, 20 Jun 2001 15:43:09 -0600

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Delwin D Fandrich=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Wednesday, June 20, 2001 10:00 AM
  Subject: pianoforte

  It is my understanding that Cristofori originally called his =
instrument a gravicembalo col piano e forte, or, a large harpsichord =
with soft and loud. From this we derived, in English, pianoforte and, =
ultimately, piano.=20
  =20
  My question is--why (and when) did the name get shortened to piano? =
Why not forte? And why are instruments built after the designs of the =
18th and early 19th century builders called fortepianos and not =
pianofortes?
  =20
  Regards,
  =20
  Del

  I doubt there's anything scientific about it -- probably something =
that "just happened" over time with people's preferred usage.  Why do we =
say 'auto' instead of 'mobile' ?  Or just 'cello' for 'violoncello' ?  =
It is curious that the modern piano came to be called just 'piano', in =
contrast to the fortepiano, which, with its two-string unisons (if I'm =
not mistaken), is a "softer" instrument, but whose name has not been =
shortened to just 'piano' or just 'forte'.  --Dave Nereson, RPT =20