Using oversized pins

Dave Nereson dnereson@dimensional.com
Wed, 20 Jun 2001 15:32:37 -0600

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: dwrlhf@juno.com=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Wednesday, June 20, 2001 2:07 PM
  Subject: Using oversized pins

  As a former part-timer in piano tuning and repair,  I have never dealt
  with replacing loose pins in a grand.  I am working on a grand in a =
local
  school system without a lot of $$ for piano repair.  I am volunteering =
  repair what I can for them as a temporary fix.  There are about 6 or 8
  very loose pins, some that cannot hold the pitch at all and some for =
only
  a short amount of time.  I am thinking of replacing the loose ones =
with
  oversized pins.  Do you have any suggestions as to how to do this fix?
  ...... do I need to replace the strings for these as well?   I would
  appreciate any advice from those of you with greater experience.  =
Thanks

  Dave at:

  dwrlhf@juno.com

  GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
  http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.

      No, you don't have to replace the strings.  Just pry the wire out =
of the tuning pin, trying to retain the shape of the coil.  Back the =
tuning pins out of their holes with a tuning hammer, T-hammer, or with a =
 star head socket  (available from supply houses) in a ratchet handle or =
drill.  Go easy with the drill speed so you don't burn the hole.  Then,  =
usually you use the next size larger, or two sizes larger tuning pin.  =
If you like, you can ream the hole first with a tuning pin hole reamer =
or brush it with a gun-cleaning type brush, but I don't feel it's really =
necessary unless the hole got burned or there's a lot of sawdust or =
other residue in the hole. =20
      Anyhow, if you're going to drive the pins in, support the pinblock =
by removing the action and supporting the bottom of the pinblock with a =
small screw jack, usually with blocks of hardwood underneath and on top =
of the jack, directly under where you'll be pounding the pins in.  Then =
drive the pins in with a pin punch and a 3 lb. hammer, or a regular ol' =
hammer will do.  Stop when the hole for the wire is about 3/8" to 1/2" =
above the plate.
      If you're going to just turn the new pins in, then you don't have =
to support the pinblock.
      Then put the string coils down over the tuning pin, poke the =
becket (the bend where the wire enters the tuning pin) back into the =
pin, give it a quarter turn, squeeze the wire into the pin, give it =
another half turn, lift the coils, and bring up to pitch.
      If the becket  got bent much when removing from the old pin, it =
may just break off, in which case you might have to straighten out about =
a half inch of wire to get it re-inserted in the pin, then start winding =
the coils.=20
      If you turn the pins down into the block an eighth inch or so =
higher than their final desired height, then put the string on, thread =
it in, and bring up to pitch,  the pin should end up about the right =
height.  But if you're going to drive them with a hammer and punch to =
get them all the same height, then support the pinblock.
      Try one size larger pin and see how hard it drives in, then try =
the feel with the tuning hammer.  If it drove in like a box nail in soft =
pine and turns pretty easily, you might want to go up another size.  But =
if you really have to pound hard to get it to go in, it's probably too =
big. =20
      Other alternatives are: removing the pin, inserting a small strip =
of sandpaper or one of those tuning pin sleeves and driving the pin back =
in, or using pin dope or CA glue. =20
      Good luck -- it's not that hard.   Sincerely,  David Nereson RPT