Tuning pin sleeves.

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Wed, 20 Jun 2001 18:46:44 EDT

In a message dated 6/20/01 5:35:26 PM Central Daylight Time,
piano.tech@ns.sympatico.ca writes:

> I personally, have never used them, after my first try with them
> 25 years ago. I threw the ones I had away, as I was unsatisfied with
> the result, I found that with the metal to metal they would not hold.
> Are they still a recommended fix for loose tuning pins?
> Has anyone actually, used them and been satisfied with the results?
> Did I possibly use them the wrong way, and have been unjust in
> my condemnation of them?
> Regards,
> John M. Ross

I have never used them, but I have seen them in lots of pianos. My experience
is that they were used by someone who didn't know how to use them, or used
them because they didn't' enough to recognize that they were at most a stop
gap solution for a cracked pin block.

Some of the time the "tech" pounded the new pin in, but forgot to shore up
the pin block. As a result, not only did the pin block delimitate more, the
sleeves were drivin intop the top rail of the action. This, of course, made
removing the action a bit of a challenge.

I would not recommend using them. If the piano has a cracked pin block,
convince the customer it has to be replaced. If she can't afford that, use
larger tuning pins, but warn the customer what is going on, so that she knows
you didn't fix the problem permanently.

Willem.