Holes in hammers

Isaac OLEG SIMANOT oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Sat, 16 Jun 2001 23:16:10 +0200

Hello,

I've heard some very soft new hammers may be "punched" with a big needle
only to allow laquer to flow more deeper inside.

For me, voicing (or needling) does not need making "holes" in the felt, but
moving the tension and density with the needles. Of course the deep needling
unpack the low felt, then immediately the next shots will move up and
exercise this new material.

With good hammers where the felt had not been too much hardened by the
warmness when glued I feel the felt in the tool, and beeing on a table with
the action helps to have a good feedback in the hand.
 So many stabs are needed to break the rigidity of tone/felt sometime that
it is more convenient to work outside (after taking marks in the piano of
course)
But I will not do it before gluing the hammers. and it is important to come
back to hear the tone at the first alert . I've find too that the shaping
and the finishing paper on a stick is of big importance.

Do you know why we pack the felt after needling ? it is because , if we
don't do that, the sound escape by the holes !

Isaac