Soundboard Evaluation

Richard Brekne rbrekne@broadpark.no
Sat, 16 Jun 2001 15:48:15 +0200

Ok Del.. lets see if I understand the essence of the points in your
reply correctly then...

You saying the following..??

1:  Compression crowning a board is basically synonymous with or at
least necessitates "fiber compression damage"
2:  Fiber compression damage will probably have little effect, if
any, on the panels performance as a diaphragm in a rib crowned sound
board assembly.
3:  It is not the compression damage per se that causes the loss of
tone performance, it is the loss of crown in the sound board
assembly (the loss of stiffness) that results from that compression
damage that causes the loss of tone performance.
4 The across grain compression strength  that maintains crown in
compression crowned boards is inherently weak and will dissipate
over time. (relatively short ??) (regardless of such factors like
such as climate ??)

I am not quite sure why a compression board is said to be "damaged"
(fiber compression damage) when in essence this damage is
meaningless in as much as all one has to do is re-rib and
reconfigure for a rib crowned assembly.

Thanks for your informative reply

Richard Brekne.

Unrelated to this actual subject matter is the following ....

This is a fundamental difference you must understand if you are be
able to knowledgeably discuss the two

...shows that you still have a very fundamental misunderstanding
about the differences between a compression crowned and a rib
crowned sound board assembly.

Sure. Just keep it civil. Don't assume I'm blowing some kind of
magical smoke just because you don't understand something.
Del

I mention this  only because it would seem to me that this
"civility" is probably easier to maintain without these kinds of
statements, which I might point out are made more from a basis of
misunderstanding each others written words then anything else.. On
the other hand...if I am a bit over caustic in my attempts to
provide a bit of humour in our discussions from time to time.....
well indeed, I do apologize.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.