Soundboard Evaluation

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Thu, 14 Jun 2001 22:51:26 -0400

Looking for a second (or third!) opinion on a soundboard. This is the 5' 4"
Knabe grand that I just finished installing a keybed in. I just flipped it
over and put the action in (it actually fit in - yeaaaa!). Piano sounds a
bit weak and has a bad killer octave area. I measured for downbearing with
the goofy little three point brass thingee. Absolutely ZERO downbearing on
the whole long bridge. Everywhere. Zero. Never saw that before. A little bit
of bearing on the bass bridge. Checked for crown with the string. Excellent
even 3/32" crown roughly centered under long bridge for the two tenor
sections, about 1/16" to 1/32" crown for the lower part of the treble
section, and zero crown for the upper treble section (exactly where the
killer octave area starts!) and the high treble section.

I'm gonna have one more go with the owner (a hospital - my guy who makes the
piano decisions is the dude you call to have a light bulb changed or if you
get stuck in the elevator) about rebuilding. I need to decide how heavily I
am going to push a new soundboard. The board has no cracks. I had to glue
the tenor end of the long bridge back to the soundboard a few year ago
because it was buzzing.

I clearly feel a new soundboard is needed to bring the piano up to its
potential. But, playing devil's advocate, most of the board has good crown -
why not just recap the bridges and put in appropriate downbearing - although
admittedly this would be tough in the high treble where there is already a
flat board - although hard to measure the little bit of crown that
would/should be there.

I say if the plate is coming out for new bridge caps, give it a new board
also - otherwise they will likely have a very lackluster bla piano.
Waddayasay???

Terry Farrell