sluggish upright jack

Richard Brekne rbrekne@broadpark.no
Thu, 14 Jun 2001 15:40:06 +0200

Eliot Lee wrote:

> Hello,
>
>     I had an old upright piano (Ludwig) with very sluggish jacks affecting
> repetition particularly in the high trebel.  Could this be from the coiled
> jack spring?  I lowered the capstan and eased the keys still didn't help
> much.  I noticed that there were no leads in the keys.

If its just the jacks themselves that are sluggish then its either got to be
the spring or tight centers. If its hanging up on something then thats
something else... Try manually triping the jack and notice how fast and hard
it returns. If its slow then pull the part and then treat the appropriate
culprit. (centerpin, bushing, or spring)

>     Is this a sign that the wippen or the jack should be repinned?  What
> about treating with protek?

Shouldnt think this in itself would require you to replace whippen. Jack could
need repinning for sure... proteck might work...and might not. probably wont
do any harm to try.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.