sluggish upright jack

Brian Trout trouts_place@hotmail.com
Thu, 14 Jun 2001 08:27:09 -0400

Hi Eliot,

You wrote:
I lowered the capstan and eased the keys still didn't help
much.  I noticed that there were no leads in the keys.

Lowering the capstan slightly might help in a marginal situation, but going
more than a tiny bit doesn't help at all, but rather introduces lost motion
and bad regulation, maybe bobbling hammers.  Tight keys do make an action
feel sluggish and if they're not returning to their full rest position, it
will look a lot like the jacks are sticky, and indeed, they may have trouble
getting back under the hammer butt.  But that's not necessarily the jack's
fault.  I'm not terribly concerned that there aren't any key leads.  As a
matter of fact, I kind of like that.  Less inertia, easy to play, responsive
to the player when all is working correctly and balanced appropriately.

I'm with Clyde on this one.  Try the Protec and see if that takes care of
the problem.  Sometimes it will.  And if it does, it's quick and cheap.

You mention repinning.  That's certainly an option, but it's pretty a pretty
involved and tedious process.

Another thing you might consider is an application (or a series of
applications) of an alcohol and water mixture to shrink the felt a bit.
There have been several people on the list here that have done this with
some good success.  Each may have a slightly different formula, but it may
be worth considering.  (If you're lookin' in the archives, it might say
something like vodka instead of alcohol.)

Just some passing thoughts.

Good luck,

Brian Trout
Slidell, LA