piano/violin

Richard Brekne rbrekne@broadpark.no
Thu, 14 Jun 2001 09:01:48 +0200

Duplexdan@AOL.COM wrote:

> If i may I'd like to jump in on transducer, Del.My old Webster's New
> collegiate Dictionary , last printing 1950, has this definition:
>
> A device actuated by poe\wer from one system and supplying power to a second
> system.
>
> It would seem that the transducing characteristic of the soundboard that Del
> points out is absolutely correct. The only question I feel that mitigates the
> renaming of the board from amlifier to transducer is :
>
> What kind of power? There is no question that the board transduces the power
> from the strings to the bridge to the board. But the effect of the
> transduction is exactly to amplify the sound of the strings, is it not?

This second is not doubt the source of the differeing use of terms. I like the
term transducer best also... but I dont often make a point out of trying to
explain why the word amplifier is "wrong" to a pianist. If you simply think of
the sound energy created by the strings alone,,, and what then is created by the
strings,,, of course the first word to come to mind is "amplifier".  Probably
much the same kind of thing going on regarding the term "bridge roll"  I would
guess.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.