Flood Damage Advice

Avery Todd avery@ev1.net
Tue, 12 Jun 2001 15:11:09 -0500

List,

For those of you who read my original post, the university
music dept. is OK. Thankfully. I had to move 2 D's out of a
small recital hall because it did get water in it. Not standing
water, but the humidity was about 200%. :-)

Anyway, I'd just like a little confirmation of something else.

I was called out to look at a grand that had had some flood
damage. My instinct is to tell them to "salvage" it. The water
line on the case was about 33-1/2" from the floor. That
means that the entire keyboard and action was in water. And
it was very obvious. As far as I can determine, the soundboard
wasn't in the water, but according to my measurements, the
water couldn't have been much more than 1/8" below it. Which
is also about the same measurement below the pin block.

There are already veneer/case joints coming apart/showing
symptoms on the legs and pedal lyre. The piano is a Kawai
KG-1, app. 5' type, bought about 9 yrs. ago.

The keyboard is swollen into one solid mass, the hammers
are up so high that the action cannot be removed, etc. I
opened it up as much as possible, told them to put a box
fan in front of it, and "we'll see what happens".

Am I wrong in recommending that they write it off and get
a new one? They do have flood insurance and my understanding
is that that means replacement cost, not depreciated cost.

Any comments/advice would be welcome. Thanks.

Avery