soundboards improving with age? or what else?

Duplexdan@AOL.COM Duplexdan@AOL.COM
Sun, 10 Jun 2001 23:58:05 EDT

HOw much crown is crown in a 10,000 Knabe Concert Grand?

I have a customer who wants his Knabe concert grand rebuilt to the optimum
potential of the piano. The problem is he does not have the optimum amount of
money to pay for the refinishing, a new action, a new pinblock, strings,
regulation, etc. IF....and that is the BIF IF ....he also has to pay for a
new soundboard.

I've checked the bearing on the bridges with a simple bearing guage and there
is some positive bearing more or less throughout both bridges.

Can I project that if I keep the old soundboard and do the rest of the work
properly that the instrument will achieve its potential with the present
soundboard?

I know I'm pushing my luck because the date of manufacture is approximately
1865!

Dan Franklin, RPT SingingTone