to Keith and list

Tony Caught caute@optusnet.com.au
Mon, 11 Jun 2001 10:37:12 +0930

Hi Antares,

 We were all talking about the 'killer octave' on the list a few weeks ago
Steinways of course was the major piano concerned.

All the methods of regulating, hammer realigning & changing etc came up as
the method of fixing the problem. And of course changing the soundboard.

Del is of the opinion that the soundboard looses its stiffness in certain
areas and that that is the actual problem that has to be overcome.

We talked about loading the offending section with springs as being a
successful solution to this problem and many concur that this is one way to
go.

Me, I am waiting to get permission to try out these experiments on a
Steinway D. I want to record the entire process starting with the partial's
magnitude of all notes in the area before any work is done to see if I can
located by some other method what I can hear, isolate the problem then
record the differences as springs are added etc.

The original possible cause of this problem can I believe be tied into your
saying 'new is better'. The compression on the original boards deteriorates
the board faster in the treble than the mid or bass section because of the
shorter  width of the board in that area.

As you say the bass and mid sections are good but the upper treble sucks.

Seem to me that the board is over compressed to begin with and though this
may give a fantastic tone to begin with, it will deteriorate very rapidly
with time.  In a piano worth $100,000's is this a good practice ?

Tony