Termite problems in pianos

Robert Goodale rrg@nevada.edu
Sun, 10 Jun 2001 15:03:32 -0500

Farrell wrote:

> I'm repairing a termite-damaged keybed on a 1920s Knabe grand. I can only
> assume that such a job is a bit unusual, and perhaps some might be
> interested in seeing pictures of it.

This brings back a topic that has been discussed on this list before: How to
evict termites when the piano is located in an area infested with them and
destined to become "eaten" again in the future.  This has been problem in
particular with the "Piana in Havana" people who have mentioned that termites
are everywhere and there seems to be no way to stop them.  The only practical
solution would be to permanently contaminate the case of the piano with a
pesticide that will render the piano unpalatable for termites.  The problem with
this however is that these kinds of chemicals give off fumes that corrode metal
parts, even years after application.  Center pins corrode, bass string windings
turn black, tuning pins rust, and strings turn to rust and break.

Recently I built a fence in my yard around a garden.  I wanted to use redwood
because of it's high resistance to rot.  Redwood is terribly expensive however
so I investigated alternatives.   It now occurs to me that the solution I came
up with for my fence could also possibly be used as a remedy for termites in
pianos as well.  I used douglas fir for my fence instead of redwood and then
soaked the wood with a "copper naphthenate" solution.  This is a product that is
sold at most hardware stores, (Home Depot), in one gallon cans under various
brand names and is green in color.  It is the same type of solution that green
pressure treated lumber is doped with.  In my case after liberally applying a
couple coats of this stuff I painted the wood with white outdoor paint.
Instantly I had a weather and rot resistant fence at a fraction of the cost of
using redwood but with the same rot resistant properties, (actually probably
even better).

In my particular case rot was my primary concern, however the mixture also
prevents infestation of insects which will not eat the treated wood.  Using it
on a piano may be a perfect solution to a termite problem.  The formula is
primarily a soluble copper solution (10% to 25% depending on the brand/quality),
which is why it is green in color.  The remaining petroleum based ingredients
serve as a catalysts for soaking it into the wood which then evaporates away in
a few days.  According to the label the green color also fades in time and
eventually over time the treated wood will look normal.  Because the solution is
simply a metallic compound there are no volatile and caustic vapor emitting
chemicals to cause the corrosion commonly associated with pesticides.

Of course I have not personally tried this on a piano and I don't live in an
area were repeated termite infestation is a concern, but it seems to me that
those who do live in areas with this problem might want to look into this and
see if it is something that could be used.

Rob Goodale, RPT
Las Vegas, NV