Tight Bushings/Roger's Fault

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sat, 9 Jun 2001 21:16:53 -0400

I figured that would get your attention! Actually this is a big thank you to
Roger Jolly for telling me about soaking action center bushings with
water/alcohol solution to free tight action centers (I realize he did not
invent this method, but he was the one that pushed me over the edge and
convinced me to try it).

I went to a new customer last week with a KimBalderetever (Kimball, Baldwin,
Everett, whatever!) console. Press down the keys, half the hammers stay at
the letoff position (everything on this puppy was slow - butt and wippen
flanges, jacks, dampers). She had told me they were sticky, but I figured I
would Protek them. When I saw just HOW SLOW they were I feared that Protek
may not work. So I took the action back to my shop and doused every action
center about six times (six wet/dry cycles) and let them dry, while working
the action occasionally.

When all was done and dry, everything was working very nice and easy - not
too loose, and not too tight, just right! AMAZING. The lady called me a
piano hero (whatever the heck that might be - sounded OK though)! I knew
better, but hey, I said "thanks!"

Thanks Roger.

Terry Farrell