Plate Ringing, Dealer Dealings

Z! Reinhardt diskladame@provide.net
Fri, 8 Jun 2001 10:20:56 -0400

Watch it!  Certain people in certain places are liable to be at the =
mercy of the business end of my wrath over certain subjects.  Comments =
below ....
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Farrell=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Friday, June 08, 2001 8:00 AM
  Subject: Re: Plate Ringing

  =20
  I had Steinway's head concert tech, Something Patterson (I think that =
was his name), poke around my 1098 for quite a while and decided the =
noise was not a sympathetic vibration, not voicing, not tuning, but =
rather likely a defect in the plate at the upper string termination. =
Nasty, nasty noises.

  >snip<

  And to quote the tech at my local Steinway dealer: "You'll get used to =
it - just learn to tune it out from your hearing!"

  >snip<

  So who's integrity is at stake here?  Is this tech trying to weasel =
out of troubleshooting jobs or is the dealer trying to weasel out of =
authorizing the time involved in this kind of work?  Or is it some =
combination of these factors?  Enter the manufacturer into the mix, if =
available ....  Amazing how often they'll step in and get to the bottom =
of a problem, as seen in Terry's post above.

  Z! Reinhardt  RPT
  Ann Arbor  MI
  diskladame@provide.net