Plate Ringing

LarryinAtlanta@AOL.COM LarryinAtlanta@AOL.COM
Fri, 8 Jun 2001 17:25:58 EDT

cedel@supernet.com writes:

> All I can add to this conversation is that I am 95% sure I heard Ernie Juhn
> say once that there is some sort of sound in some grand pianos that is the
> fault of the plate, and that there's nothing you can do about it. Regards,
> Clyde

In the casting process, carbon and graphite forms as the iron cools, adding a
damping quality to the iron. Sometimes these elements will "creep" away from
thinner sections, such as a strut, or where a thin section (such as a strut)
cools too quickly to allow a sufficient amount of carbon and graphite to form
in the matrix. This will cause that section to "ring".  If that's what's
doing it, you can find out by holding the strut firmly in your hand to see if
the ringing lessens. I'm not saying this is what's going on in the piano
you're having this trouble in. It could be something else. But this is often
the cause of plate ring.

Larry Fletcher
Atlanta Chapter