Deceptive Advertising

Kevin E. Ramsey ramsey@extremezone.com
Thu, 7 Jun 2001 19:22:19 -0700

    Lance; first off, good letter. The question really should be, what =
is the price of your integrity. Not yours personally, mind you, that is =
obvious. But it seems that so many people don't care about ripping =
people off if it puts money in your pocket. The question should be =
"what's your price?"  The higher the figure, the greater your integrity. =

    I just got a letter from a client of a salesman at one of our =
stores. He was working at a Going Out of Business sale for one of our =
competing dealerships, but he worked for the same dealership that I do. =
I received a work order to tune-voice-regulate a piano that he had sold. =
Management nixed it, saying that it was the responsibility of the other =
company to prep it. I then get this w.o. saying to go to the customers =
home to do the tuning-voicing-regulating which of course was done =
poorly, or not at all by the dealer who was going out of business. The =
owners of my company told me not to spend more than two hours at the =
home, and then leave. So the customer, who bought a (Pramberger) and =
expects a decent piano, is all set to get shafted. First by the company =
from whom he bought it, and then from the company who sold it.=20
    I took the work order, saw that they were a young couple on the go, =
to whom music was a big part of their lives, and I did what was right. I =
had to go without eating that day so that I could give them more of my =
time than I was supposed to. So I get this letter which just gushed over =
what an incredible change I made to their piano, and how much they =
appreciated it, and they enclosed a gift certificate for Border's Books. =
Hey, the letter was all the thanks I could ever use. (But I'm a =
voracious reader, and will use the gift).=20
    The point is; for what do we work? Some people are in the business =
for the bottom line only. That's all they care about;( and I'm not =
talking about piano technicians here.) All they care about is how much =
money they can get for the least amount of effort. I've dealt with =
dealers who want you to go out and do a Yamaha service bond, but they =
won't pay you for it. They just want you to fill it out, so that they =
can get paid. I know what Yamaha wants, and will bill accordingly. If =
they don't like that, then I end the relationship.
    Getting back to the subject, ( Applause form the audience )  Some =
dealers will do anything to anyone, including their good friends, for =
money. Period.=20

    The price on my integrity is so high, that I'll probably die and be =
buried in a paupers grave like Mozart. The blame belongs to my parents =
who taught me right from wrong.

Kevin E. Ramsey
ramsey@extremezone.com=20
  ----- Original Message -----=20