Odd Steinway A

Richard Anderson technostuff@pianorebuilding.com
Thu, 07 Jun 2001 20:36:00 -0500

Hi folks,

I have an A2 made in 1897 in my shop. There are several things about the
piano that seem a little odd.

There is no case number on any of the parts. The serial number is stamped in
all the usual places on all the usual parts, but no case number. Stamped in
black ink on the plate where the case number usually is a four digit number,
but it is stamped in a different size and style than the serial number, and
there is no letter preceding it. Although the piano has been restrung, I
believe the plate has the original finish and lettering and numbering.

It has the original rosewood finish but the bottom is painted black. I was
expecting brown as in the other wood tone finishes.

The piano has spade legs and matching lyre and lyre sticks that are found
after 1900. They appear to be original with matching faux grained rosewood
finish and have matching serial numbers.

The music desk is solid, again as I would expect on a later piano.

The fall board decal is the same as I would expect on a piano from the
1910's and 1920's (Decal's Unlimited #2494).

There is no soundboard decal or evidence of one having been on the board.

There was no felt installed between the plate and cornice.

Can anyone confirm that any of these are correct? The only thing I can think
of is that the piano went back to the factory for restringing, but the piano
has been in the owner's family and there is no family record or recollection
of this. I sent the above info to info@steinway.com with a request for any
information that they might have. Is there a better contact at Steinway to
ask?

Thanks,

Richard Anderson
Anderson Piano Service