soundboards improving with age? or what else?

EricFrankson@AOL.COM EricFrankson@AOL.COM
Thu, 7 Jun 2001 15:13:59 EDT

Dear Ron,
Not being any sort of authority on the technical aspects of wood and
acoustics, I have a few questions.  It laps over into the piano/violin
debate.  I've done a bit of reading on Stradivari violins, and the
development of their 'sonorous' sound they are famous for.  During the time
Stradivari crafted his stringed instruments, his were not considered of the
best quality of the time.  Shops of Guinari and Amati were the taste of the
day.  A large number of Stradivari's instruments were sent to monastaries all
through Europe (couldn't sell'm at home, I guess).  On Stradivari's
daughter's death bed (she had spent her life as a nun), she told a young man
where to find the lost Strad's.  He went to every monastary in Europe,
trading the 'old' Strad's for new replacement violins.

Flash forward 300 years and the Strad's he collected (over 70 in all, I
think) are now considered the pinacle of performance instruments.  I read one
study that attributed the great sound to Stradivari's recipe for varnish and
the 60 layers that were painstakingly applied then rubbed off.  It was the
interaction between the varnish and the spruce over 300 years that caused the
acoustic superiority of the Strad.

If one looks at the spruce used in soundboards, the acoustic resonance is
richer in those boards that have reached an ideal age.  Every tree is
different.  Every board is different.  I think that in piano's, by the time
the board has reached it's ideal age, it many times has already lost it's
crown.  Secret varnish recipies and their application have been handed down
through the generations of piano builders, but using new growth lumber (only
40 - 50 years old) vs. the old growth lumber (100-300 years old) makes quite
a bit of difference.  Take a board of spruce that's already aged 150 years,
add the best recipe for varnishing the board, and you have the materials that
make up the finest instruments produced today (Hamburg Steinway, Bosendorfer,
Bechstein, Seiler, etc...).

So on to the questions.  Violins have between 40 and 80 coats of varnish that
are hand-applied which in turn determines the ultimate resonance of the wood.
 How many coats of varnish are used on a performance piano?  Has a piano
soundboard ever been produced that uses the traditional methods used to
varnish violins (apply, rub-off, repeat)?  Does the idea that it's the
combination of the wood and the varnish that ultimately determines the
resonance of the soundboard (besides the fitting and installation) hold any
water?

I appreciate your interest and hope the violin analogy hasn't left me open
for too many e-barbs!

thanks,
Eric Frankson
Family Music Centers