Deceptive Advertising

Glenn Grafton glenn@graftonpiano.com
Thu, 7 Jun 2001 13:25:24 -0400

>>   I hope that some day we will look back and be appalled that it
>>went on as long as it did.
>>
>>Lance Lafargue, RPT
>
>While I'm annoyed by it too, this didn't start yesterday. Dozens of
>Boston and New York piano companies' name rights were bought up by
>American-Aeolian in the 1920s and 1930s, and those labels were
>placed on mediocre spinets and consoles which came out their Memphis
>plant, until their bankruptcy in the early 1980s.
>It's commonplace in many other industries (you don't believe Buicks
>and Pontiacs are being made by the folks who started the companies
>do you?;snip
>
>Patrick

And how many people that buy Boston Pianos are led to believe that
they're built by Steinway. Of course Steinway dealers also now have
the Korean made Essex pianos that are also "designed by Steinway."

There's another extreme with some dealers who lead customers to
believe that that lovely Lester spinet piano is such a great deal
because it is a "hand made" piano and not one of those mass produced
"Asian made" pianos.

Bottom line what we try to do is to make sure the customer knows what
calibre of piano they're buying, who makes it and what sort of track
record they have. Price does enter into it of course, as does what
sort of touchy feely feeling the customer gets out of the piano brand
on the fallboard.
--
Glenn Grafton
Grafton Piano & Organ Co.

The box said "Requires Windows 95, or better." So I bought a Macintosh.