New Bearing Plan for EBVT

Mike and Jane Spalding mjbkspal@execpc.com
Thu, 7 Jun 2001 11:33:34 -0500

Bill,

Thanks for the post, and the explanation of "reverse well" as an error =
in ET.  Sounds like if I start with "pivotal 3rds", and am careful with =
the contiguous 3rds and 6ths tests, I should be able to avoid this. =20

For the "tests and troubleshooting" topic, I guess I didn't give enough =
info with my question.  I am familiar with the tests for 4ths and 5ths, =
and am capable of producing a pure or tempered interval.  However, step =
14 of the EBVT plan says:

14. Temper D#4 from both G#3 and A#3 so that both the G#3-D#4 5th=20
     and the A#3-D#4 4th beat exactly the same as each other (slightly=20
     less tempered than in ET or nearly pure).  =20

The pitch of G#3 is established in step 13, and  A#3 in step 10.  So any =
error in steps 2 through 13 could cause the G#3 A#3 relationship to be =
off.  If after tempering D#4 from these notes to produce equal beating =
intervals, the beat rates are not "slightly less tempered than in ET or =
nearly pure", but beating at about 1.5 to 2 beats/sec, then something is =
wrong with the relationship of G#3 to A#3 (too narrow, I think), and one =
must presumably go back through some or all of the preceding steps and =
make some alterations.  Can I compromise the F4 A#3 pure 5th and the C#4 =
G#3 pure fourth to solve this problem, or do I need to go back further =
and correct some earlier problem?  Start over using 6.5 bps or 5.5 bps =
instead of 6?

In a general sense, I was asking for some tests within the sequence to =
identify problems early on, rather than at the end of the last step.  In =
ET, after each note is tuned, there are checks which reference from the =
first few notes tuned, to keep from wandering too far off.  Sometimes =
these tests tell you that one of your first intervals is too wide or too =
narrow, and the sooner you find out, the better.   Are there analogous =
checkpoints in EBVT?  At what point in the sequence can you find out if =
the 6bps set in step 3 needs to be made a little faster or a little =
slower?  Or maybe a sequence at the end to verify the whole thing and/or =
identify one or two wrong notes?  In ET, you run 3rds, 4ths, 5ths, and =
6ths up and down correcting uneven progression, prioritizing which =
intervals to compromise.  What do you do to verify EBVT, and what is the =
best priority for compromise?

thanks for your help and your patience,

Mike Spalding

----- Original Message -----=20