advertising & stuff

Kallie Swanepoel kccs@netralink.com
Thu, 7 Jun 2001 18:26:06 +0200

Hi List

Which advertising method do you find to work the best in our profession?

Kallie Swanepoel
PIANO TUNER
South Africa

(Member of the SA Association of Professional Piano Tuners)
Tel.:           012/422-3340 (W)
Tel.:           012/343-4946 (H)
Mobile: 083-261-6942
Fax:        012/343-4946
E-Mail: kccs@netralink.com

  -----Original Message-----
  From: owner-pianotech@ptg.org [mailto:owner-pianotech@ptg.org]On Behalf Of
Wimblees@AOL.COM
  Sent: 07 June, 2001 01:32
  To: pianotech@ptg.org
  Subject: Re: advertising & stuff

  pianolover88@hotmail.com writes:

    On a lighter note, If a customer failed to show up for a tuning
appointment,
    would you charge her mileage to make a second trip? I did.
    Terry Peterson

  First, regarding specialty advertising. I found, for the most part, that
  anything but the Yellow Pages, or a constantly running 3 or 4 line ad in
the
  classifieds promoting your tuning business, doesn't pay. I have tried
dozens
  of them, and none of them produced enough additional work to make it worth
  while. Sometimes they just barely broke even, and some didn't do a darn
  thing.

  As far as no shows are concerned. I wrote a post about this subject about
  year ago. Basically, I give the customer the benefit of the doubt for her
  excuse why she wasn't home. In fact, what difference does it make what her
  excuse is, the bottom line is, she wasn't there to let you in to tune the
  piano. Therefore, my stand on this subject is that this part of the "job
  description" of being a piano tuner. It comes with  the territory. No
matter
  how hard we try, there are always going to be no shows. Therefore, I write
it
  off, and go on with my life. When I did try to collect in the past, it
  created bad feelings. I just don't need that. So I let it go, and hope we
can
  reschedule at a later date. Of course, the customer only gets one shot at
  this. The second time, I get nasty, and either collect, or write the
customer
  off for ever.

  Willem