Deceptive Advertising

VOCE88@AOL.COM VOCE88@AOL.COM
Thu, 7 Jun 2001 08:03:00 EDT

In a message dated 6/6/01 10:16:15 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com writes:

> I serviced a Hallet, Davis & Co. recently. Korean made (they even put
> "Boston" under the name on the fallboard - the woman that bought the piano I
> serviced thought it was built in Boston!). Who makes these? Samick? Young
> Chang? "The finest materials from around the world"? Right. "Included among
> the many proud owners of these pianos have been four United States
> Presidents." So, let's see. Young Chang started in the '50s. When did they
> start making Hallets? '80s? So, I guess they must be talking about Reagan,
> Bush, Clinton and Dubya??? "Today the Hallet, Davis, & Co. name continues to
> represent one of the finest pianos made." Uh, ha, Oh, I can't sleep at
> night, should I buy a new Mason & Hamlin or a Hallet, Davis & Co. They are
> both among the finest pianos made! Certainly no one could tell the
> difference between them...........

Hallet & Davis are sold exclusively by Jordan Kitt's (I think they are
exclusive) and are made by Pearl River in China. BTW, Cunningham is sending
50 Pearl Rivers back to the company because of manufacturing problems (having
to do with lots of moving wood). In defense of Pearl River, they sent 6
factory techs. FROM CHINA to "correct" the problems, but if I were a
customer, I wouldn't want a piano with the band - aids that they put on them.

BTW, I understand other Philly area dealers have already bought these pianos.
Good luck to them. (And good luck to your customer. You are in for lots of
"work")

Richard Galassini
Cunningham Piano Co. & Factory
Philadelphia, Pa.