Deceptive Advertising

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Wed, 6 Jun 2001 22:13:41 -0400

I copied the following from a web page for a dealer. How do they sleep at
night.

I serviced a Hallet, Davis & Co. recently. Korean made (they even put
"Boston" under the name on the fallboard - the woman that bought the piano I
serviced thought it was built in Boston!). Who makes these? Samick? Young
Chang? "The finest materials from around the world"? Right. "Included among
the many proud owners of these pianos have been four United States
Presidents." So, let's see. Young Chang started in the '50s. When did they
start making Hallets? '80s? So, I guess they must be talking about Reagan,
Bush, Clinton and Dubya??? "Today the Hallet, Davis, & Co. name continues to
represent one of the finest pianos made." Uh, ha, Oh, I can't sleep at
night, should I buy a new Mason & Hamlin or a Hallet, Davis & Co. They are
both among the finest pianos made! Certainly no one could tell the
difference between them...........

Well, I guess I feel a bit better. The text from the ad is below:

Hallet, Davis & Co.

Established in Boston in the year 1843, Hallet, Davis & Co. had evolved from
the Brown & Hallet Piano Company which was established just 10 years earlier
in 1833.  Included among the many proud owners of these pianos have been
four United States Presidents.  Today the Hallet, Davis, & Co. name
continues to represent one of the finest pianos made.

 From the moment your fingers touch the concert length keys, each
lead-weighted and balanced to perfection, you are immediately aware of the
rich, harmonious sound emanating from this master-crafted piano.  Hallet,
Davis, & Co. pianos are available in a multitude of sizes which truly fills
the needs of the beginner pianist to the most discriminating musician.

Hallet, Davis, & Co. pianos employ the finest materials available from
around the world.  After completion, each instrument is exhaustively tested
at the factory before being shipped to dealers on every continent.  The
lustrous finish applied to each piano is the most highly visible feature, a
hallmark of quality.  Each Hallet, Davis, & Co. piano is available in up to
eleven different finishes and colors.  Even with all these attributes,
Hallet, Davis, & Co. is proud to offer their full line of pianos at
extremely competitive prices.  Come in today and see what makes the Hallet,
Davis, & Co. Piano is one of the best values you will find.