advertising & stuff

Phil Bondi tito@PhilBondi.com
Wed, 6 Jun 2001 20:00:17 -0400

Willem said (and I have to quote the whole thing):

> First, regarding specialty advertising. I found, for the most part, that
> anything but the Yellow Pages, or a constantly running 3 or 4 line ad in
the
> classifieds promoting your tuning business, doesn't pay. I have tried
dozens
> of them, and none of them produced enough additional work to make it worth
> while. Sometimes they just barely broke even, and some didn't do a darn
> thing.
>
> As far as no shows are concerned. I wrote a post about this subject about
> year ago. Basically, I give the customer the benefit of the doubt for her
> excuse why she wasn't home. In fact, what difference does it make what her
> excuse is, the bottom line is, she wasn't there to let you in to tune the
> piano. Therefore, my stand on this subject is that this part of the "job
> description" of being a piano tuner. It comes with  the territory. No
matter
> how hard we try, there are always going to be no shows. Therefore, I write
it
> off, and go on with my life. When I did try to collect in the past, it
> created bad feelings. I just don't need that. So I let it go, and hope we
can
> reschedule at a later date. Of course, the customer only gets one shot at
> this. The second time, I get nasty, and either collect, or write the
customer
> off for ever.

There is a God..for once, I actually ALMOST agree word-for-word!..the only
difference for me is, if there's a no-show the 2nd time(it hasn't happened
yet to me), I would leave a bill for a minimum service call..if it gets
paid, great, but if this person is a 2-time no-show, I don't expect to ever
see it anyway.

in shock,
roo(k)