Noisy action

Jeannie Grassi jgrassi@silverlink.net
Wed, 6 Jun 2001 08:56:51 -0700

Hello All,
I'm wondering if many of you have had a chance to tune a new Charles Walter
Grand?  I finally got a chance yesterday.  Lovely instrument.  But the
complaint from the customer was about "excessive action noise".  This is
specifically the noise that appears when the action parts (wippens, hammers,
keys) are dropping back to rest position.  Of course this happens in every
action, but it did seem rather noisy for a piano of this quality with a
Renner action.  I'm wondering if this is typical of this piano and what
might be done to improve it?

The keyframe did need a little bedding but I noticed no appreciable
difference in the noise after correcting that.  The rest of the regulation
was close enough to expect less noise.  The back rail cloth was glued on one
edge only, but it was the rear edge, which is the opposite to what I would
expect.  I loosened the glue joint under the cloth in some spots expecting
to hear a huge difference, but no appreciable change. All rails, flanges,
brackets, etc. that are supposed to be tight, were tight.

Anyone have similar experience with this piano or any more ideas for this
sort of thing in general?

Thanks,
jeannie

Jeannie Grassi, RPT
Associate Editor, Piano Technicians Journal
mailto:jgrassi@silverlink.net