pianotech-digest V2001 #699

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Tue, 5 Jun 2001 22:04:00 -0400

A highly opinionated statement indeed. And I stand behind it. It was =
written not from the viewpoint of the technician, but rather from the =
viewpoint of the consumer. Now admittedly, I do not have any experience =
with Steinway's rebuilding department, but rather only the product of =
the manufacturing facility.
 =20
Terry Farrell
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Robert Moffatt=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Tuesday, June 05, 2001 11:58 AM
  Subject: Re: pianotech-digest V2001 #699

  >Farrel writes:
  >After waiting 30 years for the piano to fall apart so that you can =
make a
  >good piano of it, you want to send it back there? No matter what your
  >opinion of a big company like Steinway might be, can you really say =
that
  >their "reputation for honesty and top quality workmanship is beyond
  >reproach"?=20

  And this rather opinionated statement, coming from an individual with
  more questions than a five year old? Not that that is bad...but, maybe
  a prime example of a little bit of knowledge being a dangerous thing!
  I had the _privilege_ and _honour_ of working with the past head of =
the=20
  S&S rebuilding dept, Stephen Romeo, for many months. His...their
  work ethics, attention to detail, and concern for the "best for the =
client"
  was, imho, second to none. Of course, I had taken my original training
  only for one year in the Yamaha factory, and had spent just 15 years
  in the trade at that time....a relative _newbie_ in the field.=20

  Still learning,

  Bob Moffatt
  Calgary, Alberta
  Canada