"loud" pedal

Stephen Airy stephen_airy@yahoo.com
Mon, 4 Jun 2001 08:11:07 -0700 (PDT)

A lot of my friends call the right (sustain) pedal the
"loud" pedal.  I sometimes correct them and say it's
the "damper" or "sustaining" pedal.

As for a soft pedal, in my experience I think a hammer
rail pedal works better than an una corda pedal.  My
mom's 1999 PG-150 baby grand has an una corda which is
almost unnoticeable, and my 1913 Ricca & Son has a
hammer rail pedal which works wonderfully, even though
the rest of the piano needs restoration (although from
what I can tell the soundboard & ribs look & sound
pretty good).