Fw: It won't be a Steinway anymore!/soundboards improving with age?

JIMRPT@AOL.COM JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Mon, 4 Jun 2001 08:04:15 EDT

In a message dated 6/04/2001 5:39:58 AM, Richard B. wrote:

<<Otherwise we will never
know for sure... and never find out what potential there is in ageing if it
does
indeed exist.>>

Do Boards 'age'? Well yes they do.....
Do boards deteriorate rapidly?...Well some do and some don't.
Does the aging of boards equate directly to breakdown of performance quality?
Well............... yes and no...with both answers being sometimes :-)
What we can say for sure is that some boards should have been aborted at
conception and these boards 'probably' won't age well.

We do "know for sure" that some boards 70/80 years old, or more, are in
excellent shape and performing their function superbly.......but are they
performing like they did when new? We can't really say......can we? After all
if a board is 80 years old, and the oldest active tech I know of is 87 years
old, we would be depending on a 7 years olds 80 year old memory for that
'subjective' declaration.

Since there is no 'objective' measurement possible for an 80 year old board,
between old and new, the 'only' thing that matters is the 'current'
performance of the board...all other considerations aside....either it do or
it don't....if'n it don't replace it...if'n it do then leave the sucker alone
cause another 20 years ain't gonna bring much, if any, change .....all other
things being equal.

<<"find out what potential there is in ageing if it does
indeed exist.">>
 Golly I certainly hope there is "potential in aging" since I am an unwilling
participant! :-)
Jim Bryant (FL)