SAT/Inharmonicity Observation

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sun, 3 Jun 2001 08:30:10 -0400

>     On an other note; when a piano is that flat (-140c), the first time
> through I will just pull it up to pitch, or maybe a little sharp, and see
> what happens when I tune the unisons. I count on two pitch raises.
Otherwise
> you're pulling individual strings fourty cents sharp for a differential of
> 180 cents between the tuned and un-tuned notes. Scares me!
>    I'm sure that you do things pretty much the same way, let me know. I
just
> said that more for the newbies who may be lurking.

Oh, yeah! I got it up to pitch in 2-1/2 passes. On bigger pitch raises, I'll
go through the hi-treble an extra time so that each raise is smaller - just
less chance of breaking strings. Pulled bass, tenor, and treble 10 cents
sharp, and hi-treble just up to pitch on first pass. Went through hi-treble
again, pulling it 10 cents sharp. Then I went through the whole scale again
doing a regular pitch raise with the SAT pitch-raising feature. Before
starting the last pass, I found the bass was about 30 cents flat, tenor
about 50 cents flat, treble about 60 cents flat, and hi-treble about 30
cents flat.

Terry Farrell