Is it still a Steinway?

Richard Brekne rbrekne@broadpark.no
Sun, 03 Jun 2001 10:32:55 +0200

Nice to hear from you again Jim.

I think we are really talking about two things simultaneously, and
that it would be better to get them seperated.

#1 is a more philosophical question about what constitutes something
being "origional", as in our case a Steinway.

#2 is whether or not the first question has any bearing on what
constitutes a beautiful sounding instrument.

Personally, I take the position that when someone other then the
origional craftsman / manufacturer  begin to alter basic design
factors it looses its origionality. There are other positions to
take, certainly, some more extreme then mine, and some completely
opposite.... but this is mine.

On the second question however... I aggree... it makes not one hoot
of a difference whether the instrument is origional or not... it
only matters how it performs. A master craftsman rebuilder can quite
likely create a better instrument then the origional in as many
cases as not.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.