It won't be a Steinway anymore!

Richard Brekne rbrekne@broadpark.no
Sun, 03 Jun 2001 10:03:40 +0200

Farrell wrote:

> Well, good grief. I thought I had a good point. I guess I'll just thank my
> lucky stars that I am not a violin technician. But tell me why some number
> (many?) of top violinists such as Itzhak Perlman, Yo Yo Ma, Issac Stern, Gil
> Shaham, Joshua Bell, and Nigel Kennedy pay top dollar for violins by
> Stradivari and Guarneri that are hundreds of years old? The "soundboards"
> and major components of these violins are pretty much original, aren't they?

Dont fret Terry... as I said in my post, the only real fact in this question is
that we dont really "know" anything... except what our ears and senses tell us.
And its true that there are many many, both giant in renome and unknowns who
adhere to the idea of "ageing"  in wooden instruments

> To quote André Oorebeek from Amsterdam, Holland "The first years are always
> the best, and that's the reason why concert D's
> disappear from the stage after just a number of years."

Yes.. and wheter Andre wants to  admit it or not, his is also a declaration of
faith..escpecially in the direct reasoning he cites... "elasticity of new wood".
There simply is nothing to firmly substantiate this claim. Certainly nothing
within the realms of science. It remains speculation not much better founded
then any other of the "theories" out there.

There are actually a whole lot of reasons why  concert halls change pianos at
regular intervals. How valid the ability of a concert hall administrator to
judge the acoustic estetics of a 5 year old well kept concert grand would be
something I would have to be a bit skeptical to. More likely, and for a variety
of reasons... it is simply more seductive for these to assume that new is
better, as it is more seductive for many others to believe the opposite.

In anycase.... the "facts" on the matter are indeed quite sketchy...

> O'm sure there are
> always exceptions to every generality, but am I not on the right track -
> generally?

Sure... plenty of them... Horowitz for example ??

> I'll back away from suggesting that I am spreading expert knowledge, and
> saythat I am just trying to understand. There seems to be a difference to me.
> No?

I aggree. If there is one thing I have learned these past years its to  be more
keenly aware of when I am hearing (or talking for that matter) facts or faith. I
guarantee you there isnt one of us who doesnt  step way over that border..and
rather frequently at that.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.