SAT/Inharmonicity Observation

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sat, 2 Jun 2001 22:32:22 -0400

I serviced a 1940 Chickering Studio today. Hadn't been tuned in decades -
very good condition. It was 140 cents flat. I did an FAC calculation with
the strings 140 cents flat. FAC values were 10.5, 11.2, and 8.5. Raised the
pitch up to A440. Figured maybe I should double check - maybe inharmonicity
would change. FAC values @ A440 were 8.7, 9.7, and 7.0. All decreased by
about 1.5. I would imagine this simply follows some sort of theory, which
obviously I have no knowledge of. Just thought some might be interested.
:-)

Terry Farrell