It won't be a Steinway anymore!

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Fri, 1 Jun 2001 23:21:33 EDT

In a message dated 6/1/01 12:14:48 PM Central Daylight Time,
dporritt@post.cis.smu.edu writes:

> I have been in this work for just under 30 years.  I've heard about any
> question or comment possible by customers.  There's one though, that
> completely stumps me!
>
> If a piano needs a new sounding board I often here "...but it won't be a
> Steinway anymore."  I often come up with a lame analogy to a race driver.
> He doesn't care what kind of fuel pump his car has as long as it's the
> fastest it can be.  Do you want your piano to be the best it can be, or do
> you want to keep this old sounding board.
>
> Does anyone have a good, but not glib, answer for these people?  I just
> don't understand their thinking.
>
> dave

Several years ago a letter from a lawyer appeared in the Journal basically
telling technicians that rebuilding a Steinway is an infringement on patent
rights. The gist of the article tried to imply that only the Steinway Factory
is allowed to remanufacture Steinway pianos. Several months later another
lawyer wrote an article saying the first article is full of hog wash, and he
quoted a Supreme Court decision to prove the case.

At what point does a replacement of a part other than a Steinway part make
the piano NOT a Steinway? Can we change a string, or a hammer, or remove a
punching under a key, and still have a "real" Steinway? As someone pointed
out, when was the last time a member of the Steinway family build a piano?
And as someone else pointed out, are new Steinways built entirely in the
Steinway factory, like they used to be?

The case and the plate are probably the only components of a piano that
should stay together. Those are the "guts" of the piano. Anything else can be
changed. Even if the piano was taken back to the factory, some of the parts
will not be manufactured by Steinway. So even those pianos should be
considered non Steinway.

Dave. there is no easy answer, but I would tell your customers what they want
to hear. Tell them the parts are the best available for the instruments and
that you'll do your best to make the piano sound and play like they want it
to play and sound.  If they think it looks, plays and sounds like a Steinway,
then that is what it is.

Willem