It won't be a Steinway anymore!

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Fri, 1 Jun 2001 19:36:00 -0400

A few thoughts.

Pianos are much more like cars than they are violins. Violins improve =
with age, pianos do not. A 1736 Guarneri or Stradivarius are (violins) =
instruments that are not to be changed. It is generally accepted that =
none finer has been produced since these instruments were created. My =
understanding is that their construction is not fully understood. It is =
wise to not alter these instruments. This is quite unlike pianos.

The construction of Chevrolet Corvettes, and Steinway or Bechstein or =
Mason & Hamlin pianos are well understood. Like cars, and unlike =
violins, everything about pianos deteriorates with age. Parts will need =
to be replaced as they age. As someone pointed out, we can make a =
soundboard just like Steinway (compression crowned) - but why? When we =
know how to make a better soundboard (radius crowned). My old Corvette =
used to have TRW pistons, a Crane camshaft, a Wiand intake manifold, two =
Holley carburetors, etc., etc. It was much nicer than any "All =
Chevrolet" Corvette - looked better and was faster. It was faster than =
most other cars out of the factory, but now it performs better than when =
new! Why use a string scale that was experimentally derived, when we can =
analyze it on the computer AND experiment with it to produce an optimal =
scale? The list goes on and on.

Also, one can look at what goes in to a Steinway. Let's see now, what =
year(s) of manufacture should we look at? Do Steinways have Steinway =
hammers? Gosh, I thought some had hammer manufactured by Abel, by =
Renner. Does it have an all-Steinway action? Or is it a Renner action? =
Hmmmmm Let's see what year it was built. Hey, where were these keys made =
anyway? You need your action rebuild on your 1970 model B? Ok, let's =
call Steinway and order action parts with Teflon bushings (right, get =
it, all original, all Steinway!!!)! And what about this big gold-colored =
heavy thing? I heard at one time Steinway made these. Who said this one =
was made in Springfield Ohio? I thought Steinway was in NY! You mean a =
very major component of my Steinway is made by another company? - The =
same one that makes plates for .......well who else does Kelly make =
plates for? Janssen? Kimball? Wurlitzer? The heart of a Steinway? =
Hmmmmmm - I'm just not going to feel the same about that old Steinway =
anymore..........

You can make a piano out of most anything decent - even a Steinway.

Terry Farrell =20
  ----- Original Message -----=20