Cost of Fear(was prices)

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Tue, 31 Jul 2001 07:42:30 EDT

>David Love wrote:
>>
>> My general observation in all this (assuming a reasonable statistical
>> sampling), is that piano technician's are not charging enough given their
>> time, travel, skill and expertise, and the lasting benefit of what they
>> deliver.  Don't be such wimps.  Charge what you're worth.

Greetings,
    There are a depressing number of service people that take pride in
keeping their prices steady for as long as possible, as though this is giving
the customer something more valuable than the lost income the provider
suffers.  I submit that there are reasons to constantly increase the price of
our service.
   None of us has more than one shot at life, here.   We have careers that
develop  as we go, evolving or calcifying, depending on our ambitions and the
luck the draw.  If we don't plan on a progressive increase in our abilities
and income,  we end up going backwards.   It is essential that the beginning
technician know where they want to take their skills and themeselves, and it
has to start early.
     In the beginning, an unknown tuner has no reputation to sell, only time.
 She/He will work on anything, for almost any price,(I know I did).  The
trick is to leave no skeletons in your closets, no burning bridges in the
rear view mirror, and as few unhappy customers as you can.  If you don't sell
quality, early, then you will have that much less foundation to build on as
you go.  Some of these early customers just might grow with you and you will
be helping them buy the grand of their dreams some day,  but only if they
didn't lose confidence in you when you replaced that string on their console
years ago.
      The pricing should go with the expertise.  This is why beginners should
accept that they will often have to compete via price and  do the lower
paying work early in their career.  As they become more proficient, and more
confidant, the more demanding work will begin to show up in the schedule.
Room must be made for this higher paying/demanding work, and this room is
best made by becoming more expensive.   If you don't raise your prices, you
run out of time.  If you don't raise prices for years, and don't have much
work,  look at your quality because something is missing.

     I have had a tech tell me that he had an 18 month backlog of tunings!  I
thought that was insane.  When asked about his price, he was 25% under
anybody else in his area.  I saw him a month later, he had raised his price
25 %  and hadn't lost any customer yet, and that he couldn't believe he
hadn't done it sooner.
   What this tells me is that for an unknown period of time, my colleague had
not been paid what he was worth.  This income is not recoverable, the time
and the money are now past, and the best he can hope to do is stretch the
envelope in the other direction and make up ground in the future. Some
forward planning  would have resulted in more ca$h then and now.
     So, why not raise the price?  Usually it is fear that the lost customers
will not equal the increase in income.  This can be a legitimate fear in
areas where the competition is high, but is usually unfounded.  You sell
yourself before you sell the job, and your price is a component of your own
self image.  It is important for any technician to run as close to their full
potential as possible, and knowing when your prices are "well tuned" is
critical to getting there.  If no customers are complaining, then you can be
sure you are not charging enough, since there are customers out there that
will complain about virtually anything!
     When an appliance repairman comes to my house, spends 22 minutes
installing a $25 timer in my refridgerator, and bills me $135,  it makes me
think.  He is working on something that costs $700, and makes almost $90 per
hour.  When I belly up to that $25,000 grand, and spend 90 minutes pounding
my knuckles into mush,  what should I get?
    Raise your prices until you hear squeaks,  it is the only way to know you
are running full speed.  Fear of losing your customers can shortchange you
every job you do, and will cost you far more than the loss of some of them.
Regards,
Ed Foote RPT