hammer spring rails

Warren Fisher fish@communique.net
Mon, 30 Jul 2001 16:54:41 -0500

"Homely Depot" is this defamation of character? :-)
Warren

Mike McCoy wrote:

> Hi,
>
>  A short piece of #13 piano wire chucked in a Dremel tool works amazingly
> well to re-drill/cleanout the holes in the spring rail if you don't have
> small bits. You will need a small collet for the Dremel, my collets came
> from Homely Depot, a set of 3 different sizes in a pack.
>
> Mike

Mike, I use a small curved surform tool to remove all the rail felt glue from
the back of the rail and have had little trouble with glue or wire in the holes.
The few I have had I used a voicing needle chucked into a pin vise with the
point cut off to make it fairly flat.  You can make it flatter by just barely
touching the end to the side of a bench grinder stone.
--
Warren Fisher RPT                   Beginners & Lurkers
fish@Communique.net                 Basic Pianotech discussed