Kranich & Bach/Violyn Plate

Ryan sowers pianova440@hotmail.com
Sun, 29 Jul 2001 13:43:10 -0700

I tune a Kranich and Bach that does have a fall board that is quite
different from the typical ones we see. It also had a "Violyn Plate" which
had no capo bar. Tuning stability is O.K. and the tone and sustain are quite
nice. Were there other makers that manufactured pianos without a capo bar?
This piano made me wonder how necessary
the capo bar really is. I've started removing them from all the pianos I
service. Just kidding. But seriously, what light can you knowledgeable
design savvy folks shed on the function and benefit of the capo bar, and why
does my client's Kranich and Bach seem to work so well without one?

Ryan Sowers, RPT
Puget Sound Chapter, #985
Olympia, WA